About Dr. Thomas
Dr. Clifton Thomas is a board certified General Surgeon who was the first to complete a mini-fellowship in Bariatric Surgery through Southwestern Medical School in 1999. Dr. Thomas started his career as an Assistant Professor of Surgery at Marshall University in West Virginia before moving into a private practice that focused on minimally invasive laparoscopic gastrointestinal surgery. Dr.Thomas has had many advanced courses on nutrition and behavioral change.
Dr. Thomas is known for his operative skills and making the whole process simple. Nurses often ask him “Why do your weight loss surgery patients do so well and have so few complications, post op pain, or post op nausea?” The answer is always the same. “It’s lots of little things and they add up”.
Dr. Thomas has 21 years experience as a Bariatric Weight loss Surgeon and has expertise in helping patients change day to day eating habits
The sleeve gastrectomy is effective at getting a person over that first big hurdle and helps the body work with you instead of against you. Then Dr. Thomas will guide you to better eating habits.
Dr. Thomas has 29 years experience performing outpatient hiatal hernia surgery for HEARTBURN and REFLUX. GERD.
Patients love living without heartburn and reflux symptoms and stopping heartburn medications.
- Featured in the 2008 acclaimed TLC documentary “Half Ton Mom” where he along with “My 600 pound life” surgeon Dr. Younan Nowzaradan did the largest laparoscopic gastric bypass in the world.
- Author of “Skinny Jeans at Last, Secrets to Long Term Weight Loss Surgery Success” and “The One Hour Power Diet”
- Host of Change Your Eating podcast
- Regular on several TV shows: Great Day Houston, Houston Life, and Wake UP TV
- Pioneer of Laparoscopic Nissen Fundoplication for GERD as a treatment for Heartburn symptoms and Hiatal Hernia.
- One of the first five surgeons in Texas approved by the FDA to perform the Lap Band in the year 2002.
- Began performing the Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass in 2000, and the gastric sleeve 2008.
- One of the first surgeons in Houston given the Center of Excellence designation by the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, ASMBS.